There are many major benefits achieved by using PCCP. The source of all these benefits is the pipe’s unique design concept, featuring steel cylinder encased in rugged prestressed concrete. The mortar coating on the pipe creates a passivating alkaline environment that protects the steel cylinder, joint rings and pre-stressing wire from corrosion. Since concrete continues to gain strength while underground, the materials in PCCP will be increasingly protected over many decades of service.
Often, when service taps are made on the PCCP water lines, an inspection is made of the section of pipe wall that is cut out and replaced by the tap. Such inspections—even on pipe that’s been in continual service for 50 years or more—invariably show no signs of deterioration of either the concrete or steel components. The many built-in features of PCCP assure power plant owners decades of trouble-free service.
Features of PCCP:
- PCCP is custom-designed and made for every application. Each section of pipe, along with each fitting, can be made to meet the pressure loadings and special configuration required.
- PCCP is installed in less time on site. Because it is a rigid conduit, PCCP needs no special bedding or backfilling under normal ground conditions. Installing flexible pipe such as fiberglass, steel, or ductile iron often requires bracing, high-bedding compaction or welding—each adds cost, time and potential problems.
- PCCP provides built-in corrosion protection. Due to its unique design combining a steel cylinder encased in concrete, PCCP is chemically protected from corrosion.
- PCCP has the high strength to withstand internal and external pressure loads. The pipe’s concrete and steel wall is prestressed with steel wire to provide more than sufficient strength to withstand the water pressure. The rigid wall fully supports the external forces of the surrounding earth.
- PCCP includes a complete range of standard and custom fittings (Please see fittings section).
- PCCP is available in all standard diameters from 16 to 144 inches. Straight sections of PCCP are made in lengths of either 16 or 24 feet and in virtually any pipe diameters your application requires. And we can provide matching fittings in all standard diameters, too.
- PCCP is the only piping material that is designed for the combination of internal pressure and external loads. PCCP is designed in accordance with AWWA C-304 design standard.
Further product and specification information is available for download in our Product & Services Guide area.